WORKSHOP: Farm Employment Law 101
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL EARLY JANUARY. WE WILL ANNOUNCE THE DATE ASAP.
DATE TBA, UMass Dartmouth Law Moot Court Room, Dartmouth, MA
This workshop, hosted with New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, will provide an overview of key employment issues that farmers need to know. From apprenticeships to agricultural minimum wage, the workshop will cover key topics that come up on the farm and provide attendees with an agricultural employment law handbook. It will also include case studies that provide an opportunity to apply the topics to real situations.
Presenter: Mary O’Neal, Partner at Conn Kavanaugh and Employment Law Expert
WORKSHOP: So You Think Your Apprenticeship is Legal?
Jan. 13 from 4-5:30 pm at NOFA Mass Winter Conference, Worcester, MA
An interactive “legal 101” for mentor farmers who offer hands on learning
opportunities on their farms. Drawing on an Agricultural Employment Law
booklet developed by New Entry and the Conservation Law Foundation, the session will cover federal and state laws that apply to farmers as employers.
Presenter: Andrew Dennington, Partner at Conn Kavanaugh and Employment Law Expert
WORKSHOP: Legal Essentials for New Farmers
Jan. 18 from 6-8:30 pm at Gould Barn, 1 Howlett St., Topsfield, MA
Greenbelt, Essex County’s Land Trust, in partnership with Conservation Law Foundation’s Legal Food Hub, will host a free evening workshop on legal topics most important to new farmers, including entity formation, real estate, and employment law. Supper will be served.
- WEBINAR: October 25 – Food Safety Modernization Act Produce Rule, http://event.onlineseminarsolutions.com/wcc/r/1514413-1/80B43484D6C6E05D016C5FCC0BEDB88C.
- WEBINAR: October 18 – Food Safety Modernization Act Preventive Controls Rule, http://event.onlineseminarsolutions.com/wcc/r/1514335-1/33F56354D939C3ABCD4AD07F7CE5EEF4.
- WORKSHOP: June 22- Business Structures for Food Businesses, Salem Enterprise Center, Salem, MA
- WORKSHOP: May 30 – Trademarks Workshop at Hope & Main, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trademark-workshop-tickets-33436689037
- WORKSHOP: May 6 – Business Bootcamp at Hope & Main
- TRAINING: May 5- CLE: Farm-to-Table & Food Safety, 2.5 CLE credits. Location: Preti Flaherty, One City Center, Portland, ME. Time: 1:00-3:30PM. Free for Legal Food Hub network attorneys, others $25. Please contact Phelps Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- TRAINING: May 3-4- Professional Training for Farm Succession Advisors, The Falls Center, Manchester, NH. 12.5 CLE credits approved in Vermont and Maine, self-certification available in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. Agenda is found here and registration is found here.
- TRAINING: March 29- CLE on Labor and Employment Issues for Farm and Food Enterprises, Portland, ME. Space is limited- pre-register by March 27 by emailing email@example.com with “March 29 CLE” in subject line.
- WORKSHOP: March 22- Succession Planning, Sandywoods, Tiverton, RI
- WORKSHOP: March 11- Entrepreneur Bootcamp, Hope & Main, Warren, RI
- WORKSHOP: March 9- Business Structures for Farms and Farmers’ Markets, Northeast Harvest Agricultural Marketing Conference and Trades Show, Sturbridge, MA
- WORKSHOP: February 13, 6-8PM- Succession Workshop, hosted by Land For Good and American Farmland Trust, Kingston, RI
- WORKSHOP: February 6, 6-9PM- Business Structures for Urban Farmers, Carrot Project’s Urban Agriculture Training Program, Roxbury, MA
- WORKSHOP: February 8- Intellectual Property and Estate Planning for Farmers, Grafton, MA
- WORKSHOP: March 4- Intellectual Property for Urban Farmers and Food Entrepreneurs, Urban Farming Conference, Boston, MA
- WORKSHOP: January 4- Regulations Related to Your Farmer Operation, UMaine Regional Learning Center
- WORKSHOP: January 11-12- Two days of programming at the Maine Agricultural Trades Show, Augusta
- WORKSHOP: October 27, 8:30am-10:30am- Protecting Intellectual Property in the Food Business, Enterprise Center at Salem State, Salem, MA
- WORKSHOP: November 6 (afternoon)- Employment Law, MOFGA Farmer to Farmer Conference, Northport, ME
- TRAINING: May 6 – Luncheon at Bernstein, Shur, Sawyer & Nelson (invitation only).
- TRAINING: May 23 – Luncheon at Drummond, Woodsum (invitation only).
- WORKSHOP CLE: May 10 – Presentation at Gignoux Inn of Court (invitation only).
- TRAINING: May 12 – Perkins, Thompson (invitation only).
- TRAINING: March 21 – Luncheon at Pierce Atwood (invitation only).
- WORKSHOP: March 12 – One on one sessions with Legal Food Hub attorneys. Urban Farming Conference, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- WORKSHOP: January 31 – Employment Law, Maine Federation of Farmers Markets, Maple Farm Inn, Hallowell, ME
- WORKSHOP: January 13-14 – Two-day legal workshop for farmers, Agricultural Trades Show, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME
- Wednesday, January 13
- 10-10:55 a.m. – Legal Considerations Essential for Running a Successful Farm Business
- 11-11:55 a.m. – Food Safety
- 12-1 p.m. – One-on-one sessions
- 1-1:55 p.m. – Intellectual Property
- 2-2:55 p.m. – Legal Structure for Your Farm
- 3-3:55 p.m. – Land Leasing and Purchasing
- 4-4:55 p.m. – Employment Law
- Thursday, January 14
- 9-9:55 a.m. – Farm Protection and Transition
- 10-10:55 a.m. – Employment Law
- 11-11:55 a.m. – Legal Structure for Your Farm
- 12-1 p.m. – One-on-one sessions
- 1-1:55 p.m. – Legal Considerations Essential for Running a Successful Farm Business
- EVENT: December 10, 5:30-6:30 p.m. – Hub Attorney Appreciation and Networking, Maine Mead Works, Portland, ME
- EVENT: November 21-22 – Farm, Fish, and Food Innovation Challenge, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME
- WORKSHOP: November 8 – Choosing the Right Business Entity for Your Farm, Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) Farmer to Farmer Conference, Point Lookout Resort, Northport, ME
- EVENT: October 22 – Pierce Atwood attorney networking, Portland, ME
- WORKSHOP: October 6 – How To Choose a Business Structure, Purdue Extension, Webinar
- WORKSHOP: September 26 – Farm Labor Law, Common Ground Country Fair, Unity, ME
- WORKSHOP: August 20 – Commercial Leases and Entity Formation, Commonwealth Kitchen, Boston, MA